This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Conflict between Cygwin 1.7 and Ubuntu for Windows 14316
- From: John Cowan <cowan at mercury dot ccil dot org>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 09:11:28 -0400
- Subject: Re: Conflict between Cygwin 1.7 and Ubuntu for Windows 14316
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160413052257 dot GB28803 at mercury dot ccil dot org> <CA+Fg1xY46ANusM1MeZozkQ1u0+AHwd=vJDoWo7867az3wxPNBQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CACmJb3yHO_VhiDoyn33d+7R_rq8Bqco6VMuTdG622Bu2u52fHA at mail dot gmail dot com>
> John, if you can confirm?
> Please also provide the "cat /mnt/c/file1" and "cat /mnt/c/file2" from UoW.
>From the Cygwin shell (note that my Cygwin and Windows home directories
are the same: /home/cowan is a Cygwin symlink to /cygdrive/c/Users/cowan):
$ echo stuff >file1
$ cat file1
$ ls -l file1
-rw-r--r--+ 1 cowan cowan 6 Apr 13 08:57 file1
c:\Users\cowan>echo stuff >file2
>From UoW bash prompt:
root@localhost:~# cd /mnt/c/Users/cowan
root@localhost:/mnt/c/Users/cowan# cat file1
cat: file1: Permission denied
root@localhost:/mnt/c/Users/cowan# cat file2
root@localhost:/mnt/c/Users/cowan# ls -l file1 file2
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Apr 13 12:57 file1
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Apr 13 12:57 file2
As you can see, they look exactly the same but are different somehow.
What is more, if I use cmd.exe echo to append to file1 and Cygwin echo
to append to file2, it changes nothing. Likewise, if I overwrite them
completely, it changes nothing. Only if I remove them and re-create
them from the "wrong" side does file1 become readable and file2 become
This is 64-bit Windows on an NTFS file system, but 32-bit Cygwin. I'll
try installing Cygwin64 tonight and seeing if that makes any difference.
John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan firstname.lastname@example.org
A: "Spiro conjectures Ex-Lax."
Q: "What does Pat Nixon frost her cakes with?"
--"Jeopardy" for generative semanticists
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple