This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin DLL 2.5.1 setup-x86_64.exe flagged by AVG for IDP.ARES.Generic
- From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 20:00:53 +0200
- Subject: Re: Cygwin DLL 2.5.1 setup-x86_64.exe flagged by AVG for IDP.ARES.Generic
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1262999207 dot 5580004 dot 1462120717636 dot JavaMail dot yahoo dot ref at mail dot yahoo dot com> <1262999207 dot 5580004 dot 1462120717636 dot JavaMail dot yahoo at mail dot yahoo dot com>
Ron Gaw writes:
> When I ran setup-x86_64.exe (the newly downloaded version 2.5.1), AVG
> popped up and warned that IDP.ARES.Generic was detected attempting to
> install, and asked me to "Protect" by removing the threat. I
> (hopefully) erred on the side of caution and agreed to the protection.
> I've searched the Mailing lists at Cygwin and I've Google searched for
> the IDP.ARES.Generic issue (including variations of the Google search
> to require mention of Cygwin in the results returned), but I'm not
> finding anything.
It's a false positive based on a faulty heuristic meant to catch certain
types of polymorphic malware. Each time setup.exe gets updated they
seem to need another report before they whitelist setup.exe again. So
please report it to AVG.
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
SD adaptation for Waldorf microQ V2.22R2:
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple