This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: system lags and dysfunctional after cygwin update
- From: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>
- To: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 10:56:15 -0600
- Subject: Re: system lags and dysfunctional after cygwin update
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <99f62d42-de9c-2209-85c4-42454ab9cf3c at gmail dot com> <CE58DC48-A572-47AF-9EB7-61A124F83522 at etr-usa dot com> <d3f94b6d-b864-bb4a-d358-f3c685e690f0 at gmail dot com> <6CBA6730-6968-4CE8-ADEE-B18B05FB0A88 at etr-usa dot com> <f290f3cc-ce78-ccf1-0cb3-cdecdc9d7d4b at cygwin dot com>
On May 13, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2016-05-13 10:38, Warren Young wrote:
>> But after taking a peek at the AST license, itâs pretty clear itâs incompatible
>> with the GPL.
> True, but it is Open Source and therefore would be acceptable.
It depends on what âitâ is.
The old AT&T AST license was most definitely not acceptable, requiring written acceptance of the license in order to transfer the source code. You may remember the clickthrough license on the old AT&T AST site. Thatâs fine for AT&T, but it doesnât let Cygwin distribute source packages, for example.
There are other onerous terms in the AST license, too, such as a requirement that you tell AT&T in writing any time you made a patch to their software. Thus if it doesnât build OOTB on Cygwin, we couldnât distribute it in binary-only form, either.
All of that apparently went away at some point, though, because the header comment in a few of the ksh source files I looked at say itâs under the Eclipse Public License now:
The old AST wasnât even compatible with GitHub â no explicit license acceptance on git clone â but I think we can trust that as an official distribution of the ksh source code, since AT&T themselves link to the GitHub repo from here:
So never mind, I think weâre in the clear here. But IANAL.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple