This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ATN: git maintainer] Git package depends on python
- From: Jon Ross <jonross at gmail dot com>
- To: âcygwin at cygwin dot comâ <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 19:15:12 -0400
- Subject: [ATN: git maintainer] Git package depends on python
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
It looks like the git package installs python as a dependency. It
causes problems if you need a different win python runtime for your
Also, git doesn't seem to use python. I un-install python via setup
and git continues to work fine (at least for my typical usage). Nor
can I find any python files in the git package.
Seems a heavyweight dependency, and it doesn't seem to be used. Why is it there?
$ cygcheck.exe -fv /usr/bin/git
/usr/bin/git: found in package git-2.8.0-1
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 2.5.1(0.297/5/3) 2016-04-21 22:14 x86_64 Cygwin
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple