This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Can I eliminate diagnostic messages from cp
- From: Eliot Moss <moss at cs dot umass dot edu>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 13:48:07 -0400
- Subject: Re: Can I eliminate diagnostic messages from cp
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <3e817f56-2193-6a63-ec27-1f49dc2b2e00 at att dot net>
- Reply-to: moss at cs dot umass dot edu
On 5/20/2016 1:45 PM, lostbits wrote:
I use cp as my backup tool from disk to USB. There are maybe 40,000 files involved and each one has
a message of
"cp: preserving permissions for <file>â: Not supported". These messages slow down the backup and
obscure meaningful faults. Is there any option for removing the messages?
My command line is: cp <directory> /<usb>
Umm, add command line flags that don't request the permissions to be set?
You can play around with the various options of preserving / not preserving
mode, ownership, date/time, etc.
Regards -- Eliot
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple