This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Can I eliminate diagnostic messages from cp
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: lostbits <aschwarz1309 at att dot net>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 20:50:30 +0300
- Subject: Re: Can I eliminate diagnostic messages from cp
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <3e817f56-2193-6a63-ec27-1f49dc2b2e00 at att dot net>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> I use cp as my backup tool from disk to USB. There are maybe 40,000
> files involved and each one has a message of
> "cp: preserving permissions for <file>â: Not supported". These messages
> slow down the backup and obscure meaningful faults. Is there any option
> for removing the messages?
> My command line is: cp <directory> /<usb>
If your USB is formatted in FAT, then --preserve=none will get rid of these
As FAT doesn't really support anything at all.
With best regards,
Friday, May 20, 2016 20:49:46
Sorry for my terrible english...