Re: nm for .exe extensions?

On May 24, 2016, at 6:43 AM, Benjamin Cao <becao@progress.com> wrote:

> The executable, when run with nm in Cygwin, results in a "no symbols" result, whereas it generates a symbol table in unix.

Thatâs not what I see here.  Given hello.c containing a âHello, world!â program:

  $ make hello
  cc     hello.c   -o hello
  $ nm hello.exe | wc -l
  389

If I strip the exe, I get âNo symbols,â as expected.  Thereâs no reason a finished executable should have much in the way of exported symbols without debug info, since it is self-contained.  You would only expect to get useful output from nm on a stripped binary if itâs an object file or a DLL.