Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.0-1

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:58:45 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

I uploaded a new Cygwin release 2.6.0-1.

Please note that this release won't work on Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003 or 2003 R2.  At least Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
are required.

Well, there goes XP as another software project on which I depend withdraws support. It’s not that I can’t afford to "upgrade"-- I can get a reconditioned box with Windows 7 on it for around $200 or less. It's that I am too old and tired to install the applications and utilities I would want, find replacements for my old favorites that would not run on the new box, and then tweak everything the way I would want it to run. Worse yet, I would probably want to install Linux...and build it from scratch. Nope, far too old and tired for any of that, especially for learning my way around the new stuff.

Thanks,
Corinna
Thank you, Corinna, for helping to keep Cygwin going. I found it when it was ver. b17 because I was looking for a way to run Joseph Allen's editor (joe) on Windows and keep all the nice POSIX features. It's been quite a ride ever since. I'll probably be around for a little while yet, long as I can build stuff for the old Cygwin without too much trouble. Goodness help me, though, if I ever get to the point where I find myself sitting in a wheelchair, staring at a wall.

Cheers,

Jeff