Re: bash: igncr shell option breaks my PS1 prompt

Dear Eric Blake,

I understand there were issues with read handling of \r. But is the
resulting solution/bugfix ideal? Or does it introduce new problems?

Basically, I don't want to set `igncr` as system-wide shell option
(e.g. through SHELLOPTS). I want to require scripts to use LF newlines
- if there's a script somewhere with CRLF newlines, I want it to break
immediately (which it would do by default, when igncr is disabled).
Then I will notice and convert it's newlines (dos2unix) right away.
So, how do I keep an existing bash script, that uses `read` piped from
the output of a Windows console program that uses CRLF as newlines,
working, without modifying the script? I don't see how it's possible
with the current situation.

Personally I think that by default read should behave as it did for
years. Backwards compatibility 101... Add a new shell option (separate
from igncr) if you'd like, but keep the default behavior same as it
was for a long time. How do you think?

Regards, Gene Pavlovsky