Re: crazy default permissions

On 10/5/2016 12:40 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 05/10/2016 06:31, Mitch Deoudes wrote:
mkdir has suddenly started creating directories with strange
permissions.  As far as I can tell, it's related to making directories
nested inside other directories that were also created within cygwin.
As you create deeper and deeper nestings, the perms get more and more
screwed up.  It starts at the second level deep, with the setuid flag,
and eventually gets to the point where you're making directories that
don't even have user read/write.

I tried this on a brand new installation of the latest cygwin64, with no
modifications, as of just now:

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ umask
0022

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ mkdir baz

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ ls -ld baz
drwxrwxr-x+ 1 mitch None 0 Oct  5 00:11 baz    <--- first dir looks
reasonable (but doesn't match umask)

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ mkdir baz/bob

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ ls -l baz
total 0
drwsrwsr-t+ 1 mitch None 0 Oct  5 00:11 bob    <--- second dir is weird

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ mkdir baz/bob/foo

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ ls -l baz/bob/
total 0
d--Srws--T+ 1 mitch None 0 Oct  5 00:12 foo   <--- third dir doesn't
even have user read/write

mitch@calculonjr ~/src/etc/rsync
$ mkdir baz/bob/foo/blob
mkdir: cannot create directory `baz/bob/foo/blob': Permission denied

Any guesses what might be causing this?  I'm pretty sure this was
working as of my last update, which was probably several months ago.

mitch

where is your home ?

$ cygpath -u ~
/home/marco

and what are its ACLS ?

$ cacls $(cygpath -w ~)
E:\cygwin64\home\marco MATZERI\marco:F
                       BUILTIN\Administrators:R
                       Everyone:R
                       CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                       CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                       Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

Hmm... in checking the acl's on my home dir, I noticed there was an entry for an unkown user. Probably left over from the last time I migrated my data to a new windows install. I deleted that entry via the Windows properties->security tab, which triggered a massive re-write of all the permissions for everything in my home dir. Now mkdir seems to work fine.

No idea why that would cause/fix the problem. Especially given the fact that said data migration happened probably years ago. My home dir acl's do look a little convoluted compared to yours, though:

                    Everyone:(special access:)
                             READ_CONTROL
                             SYNCHRONIZE
                             FILE_READ_EA
                             FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES

                    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
                    calculonjr\mitch:(OI)(CI)F
                    BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
                    BUILTIN\Users:(special access:)
                                  READ_CONTROL
                                  SYNCHRONIZE
                                  FILE_READ_EA
                                  FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES

                    BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(IO)(special access:)
                                          SYNCHRONIZE
                                          FILE_WRITE_DATA
                                          FILE_APPEND_DATA

                    BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F
                    BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
                    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
                    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
                    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(ID)C
                    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)C
                    BUILTIN\Users:(ID)R
                    BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)(special access:)
                                                  GENERIC_READ
                                                  GENERIC_EXECUTE