Re: Please report this problem to the public mailing list...

On Jan 24 20:50, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 24 10:32, cyg Simple wrote:
> > On 1/24/2017 10:21 AM, Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) wrote:
> > > We have received several postings of people responding to the Cygwin-generated
> > > message: WARNING: ... Please report this problem to the public mailing list
> > >

> > > I wonder how many places such messages are present in the Cygwin code.
> > >
> > > Just throwing out an idea here to help people help themselves...
> > >
> > > Consider all such messages carrying an error code and referred to a Cygwin web
> > > page that contained links to separate pages for each error code, and those pages,
> > > then, would contain the latest information as to how to recover from the
> > > respective errors.
> > >

> > Great idea.  I can see this
> >
> > > Problem reports:
> >
> > being referenced instead of the mail list which the person may not be
> > subscribed to. Care to present a patch to the web page?  And we need a
> > patch to the text parts of Cygwin to point to the web page.
> If somebody cares to write a patch for a new FAQ entry, I change the
> Cygwin source to point it out.
> On second thought, Cygwin should probably simple tell the user to update
> the outdated Cygwin installation instead.

Oh, wait.  The current text already *is*:

  Cygwin WARNING:
  Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  This typically occurs if you're using
  an older Cygwin version on a newer Windows.  Please update to the latest
  available Cygwin version from  If the problem persists,
  please see

However, this doesn't help with very old and 3PP installations.

Red Hat