Re: Please report this problem to the public mailing list...

On 2017-01-24 12:53, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 24 20:50, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Great idea.  I can see this
>>> being referenced instead of the mail list which the person may
>>> not be subscribed to. Care to present a patch to the web page?
>>> And we need a patch to the text parts of Cygwin to point to the
>>> web page.
>> If somebody cares to write a patch for a new FAQ entry, I change
>> the Cygwin source to point it out.
>> On second thought, Cygwin should probably simple tell the user to
>> update the outdated Cygwin installation instead.
> Oh, wait.  The current text already *is*:
> Cygwin WARNING:
> Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. This typically occurs if you're
> using an older Cygwin version on a newer Windows. Please update to
> the latest available Cygwin version from https://cygwin.com/. If the
> problem persists, please see https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> However, this doesn't help with very old and 3PP installations.

Seems to me most of those messages are generated by third party apps
installing a(n old) version of Cygwin without any update instructions,
or consideration that while *their* app may not need updated when the
system is patched, Cygwin may (*cough* "Windows" BitKeeper *cough*).
Users should be suspicious when a vendor app tells them to report
problems to "some other folks" who are not the vendor: they should
take it as a warning that the vendor disclaims all responsibility
for their own choice of infrastructure, and call up and blast the
vendor's management! ;^>