This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: dash-0.5.8-3
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:14:00, Steven Penny wrote:
> Obviously Bash is not the problem, nor readline as Dash doesnt use readline. So
> it appears the issue this time is again with cygwin1.dll, or perhaps the Dash
.. uhm, it appears to me that Windows is the issue here.
As those in the know do not feel inclined to respond, I will provide some
guesses that are my own:
- in terms of input buffer management, utf-8 encoded characters will not
be recognized in case of bash and dash ... (they are under Fedora)
- see the output of stty -a: iutf8 is not present (it is under Fedora)
- readline provides bash with input buffer management for utf-8 encoded
characters on Windows (that is why it 'works' in case of bash)
- bash has support for utf-8 encoded characters ...
(e.g. ls -l ? will include one-character filenames in case the name is
made up of only one multi-byte character)
- dash has no such support ... 
Consequently, dash is only partly useful, even more so on Windows (as it
would require an additional "helper" on Windows in order to obtain proper
line-editing). Helper? readline, libedit ...
However, I am only guessing ... (only Erik and Corinna can provide expert
see Debian Almquist Shell
reply by Hertbert Xu, project owner of dash
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple