Re: cygwin console software

Until a few months ago, I used PuttyCyg.  It worked really well, and
still does, and I used it for perhaps 10 years.

In the past few months, I've been using Tera Term, which has a Cygwin
mode that works just like MinTTY and PuttyCyg with the few differences
I've noticed:

1--------PuttyCyg and other terminals allow copying text by holding
down the SHIFT key and selecting with the left mouse button.  Tera
Term does not.  The workaround is to click File / View Log from the
Tera Term Cygwin terminal window, which loads the scrollback buffer
into an editor, and then cut/paste from there.

The editor to use for (File / View log) is configured in this section
of /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/teraterm/TERATERM.INI file:

        ; Viewlog Editor path
        ; ViewlogEditor=C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim74\gvim.exe
        ViewlogEditor=C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.exe

I settled on Jedit for this.  While Gvim is a great editor, it is not
quite so convenient to copy/paste from as the other Windows editors
(unless you use MSWin mode.)  Notepad, Notepad++, Microsoft Word, or
other text editors work too in the ViewlogEditor field.

2--------Tera Term Cygwin can log to disk as PuttyCyg and MinTTY do,
but it can add timestamps to the logs, making it easy to see how long
a process runs or a procedure takes.  On *nix there is the "time"
command of course, but, this gives a timeline of a whole session.

3--------Tera Term Cygwin strips EOL markers from pasted text so if
you're pasting at a prompt, the command won't run away from you until
you press RETURN.  It also pops up a window with the clipboard
contents as a quick verification that you're about to paste what you
THINK you're about to paste.  How many of us have been surprised when
we pasted 10 to 20 lines at the command prompt unexpectedly when we
THOUGHT we'd copied a single word or line?  (Setup / Additional
Settings.)

There are differences in other emulators and Tera Term Cygwin,  but
these are the ones I consider most important, it's been a good
performer for the past few months for me.

Keith