Re: Junctions != Symlinks; Treat Junctions as MS-FS mounts; MS-symlinks are symlinks

Greetings, cyg Simple!

>>    Same problem under "/opt" under linux.  "/opt" is
>> a directory on my root partition.  When I wanted to
>> install "VirtualBox" (which lives under "/opt/VirtualBox" it
>> refused to run from a path that had a symlink in it.  How
>> would you solve that?
>>    I used a 'bind' mount.  VirtualBox rejected
>> symlinks in its base path, but it does work with mounted
>> filesystems.
>>    In the same way, not only Cygwin's "setup.exe"
>> but also many of the "install" scripts that install programs
>> under cygwin, check to see if there is a symlink as part
>> of their base path.  If they find one -- they remove it
>> and re-create the directory where there used to be a
>> symlink.  Result: "/usr/share/man/man1/newprog1.gz"
>> s all alone under 'man' as "/usr/share/info/newprog.gz"
>> is by itself under /usr/share/info.   Where did the rest
>> of my files go?
>>    They are still there -- but under
>> "/Users/share/...".  That's my main problem.  Cygwin
>> doesn't install things in "/usr/share/<location>/<prog>"
>> But first, removes all existing symlinks in its base
>> path.

> Have you considered the Windows mountvol to resolve this issue?  Using a
> similar example as above you could use mountvol to assign a VolumeName
> to [A-Z]:/Users/share as e.g. S: and modify the /etc/fstab entry to:

> S:/ /usr/share ntfs binary,posix=0,acl,user,notexec 0 0

The very idea to not use disk letters is to not use disk letters.
Assigning disk letters to volumes defeat the original idea.

With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Saturday, March 11, 2017 21:02:39

Sorry for my terrible english...