This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Can not get XWindows to Work in Cygwin/X .... I LOVE CYGWIN, USE IT EVERY DAY
- From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 20:40:15 +0200
- Subject: Re: Can not get XWindows to Work in Cygwin/X .... I LOVE CYGWIN, USE IT EVERY DAY
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <97113144.79861154.1491933273111.JavaMail.firstname.lastname@example.org>
> I type Startxwin or xwin and just get a xterm to the server?
Well, then X works as it's supposed to be. The standard setup is to use
a rootless server and have Windows manage the application windows (like
that xterm you're seeing). There should be two new icons in the try in
Windows' taskbar. Make them permanently visible, you can start some
applications via the context menu from there.
If you insist on using a root window and run a separate window manager
on it (which I would only recommend if you dedicate a separate monitor
to it), then WindowMaker is lightweight and doesn't pull in as many
dependecies as some of the other choices.
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple