This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: CYGWIN git cannot install python packages with pip
- From: ankostis <ankostis at gmail dot com>
- To: Git Mailing List <git at vger dot kernel dot org>
- Cc: Adam Dinwoodie <adam at dinwoodie dot org>, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes dot Schindelin at gmx dot de>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 15:09:36 +0200
- Subject: Re: CYGWIN git cannot install python packages with pip
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CA+dhYEX+GgEHnVBnLQqnNW99xpf9kWcataTTt3Ya6ivGFgscMw@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.DEB.2.20.1705031147040.3480@virtualbox> <CA+dhYEUCJghqDQyBrL71Q=JKokcH-nhQ9WZzBb19-gonxi7o=Q@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.DEB.2.20.1705031630540.3480@virtualbox> <20170504094719.GA3238@dinwoodie.org> <CA+dhYEX0f206pZ+7seOce7McnfZ9ZfXLvSn7YH3Ykgqk+gA8gg@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.DEB.220.127.116.115041324030.4905@virtualbox>
On 4 May 2017 at 13:26, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2017, ankostis wrote:
>> On 4 May 2017 at 11:47, Adam Dinwoodie <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> Judging from the error-message, it somehow concatenates input & output
>> Isn't this something to research about?
> It is something to research about. But by you, not by me.
You got a point there.
> I need to focus
> on bigger-impact issues, because I do not scale, and Git for Windows'
> users generally do not experience the problem you described.
Git for Windows uses MINGW indeed.
But there are still CYGWIN users out in the wild
running the vanilla Windows python installation.
Actually this issue has a big impact on those of us because
recent `setuptools` tools allow for packages to specify project dependencies
using the `git+https://...` url-scheme.
So the problem may appear to unaware users just trying to install
a packages the regular way, with `pip install foo.package`
FYI, cross-posting also to CYGWIN list.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple