Re: Latest Cygwin update and Emacs in Mintty

Ken Brown writes:
> Even with no .minttrc, 'emacs-nox -Q' followed by 'M-x
> set-background-color RET white RET' turns the background gray.

I can't rule out that there was a change to the configuration of Emacs
on that day that effectively added the set-background operation on that

> I can also reproduce the
> problem in xterm, so I don't think Mintty is the culprit.

I already said in my original report that I can reproduce this from my
Linux box via konsole.

I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, but I just fired up
emacs-nox from my Linux box and did 'M-x set-background-color RET white
RET' and guess what, the background turns a relatively dark shade of
grey.  I've tried to dig through the call chain that would lead to that
result and it seems that the result depends on whether brightwhite/15 or
white/7 gets picked from tty-color-alist or a value gets generated from
tty-color-standard-values (which uses the X definitions for the named