This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: convenient trimming of quoted text to make points
- From: Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet dot com dot au>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 14:54:08 +1000
- Subject: Re: convenient trimming of quoted text to make points
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CANnLRdgWnygyp36uYmpzq7i3BvgHonL5H8CPy_Vr+wOYmWjp4w@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CANnLRdgBU-Gact9rTN3cSYVy6UMe83r=EYyVsvwS97k8VuxD6g@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CANnLRdihpyMjU6NyoFMmxiN3SJ22fAYZVprZknoW+JH1uJUi1w@mail.gmail.com> <599F710B.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <59A10F64.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 11:26:10AM -0400, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 8/26/2017 2:04 AM, L A Walsh wrote:
> > cyg Simple wrote:
> >> On 8/24/2017 8:36 PM, L A Walsh wrote:
> >>> If you can't trim your quoted text, then please stop burying the
> >>> new stuff on the bottom.
> >> Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I see from a google
> >> search that you've had problems with style in the past even on this list.
> > Maybe I'm one of the few who has RSI and gets irritated by having
> > to go through extra steps to skip large walls of text.
> I don't know what RSI is. I might guess it to be Residual Self Image or
> Remotely Sensed Imagery. ;p
RSI == Repetitive Strain Injury. It's a real medical condition.
> >> List etiquette frowns on both bottom and top posting and warrants to
> >> interleaving the replies.
> > ---
> > I know of no list where that is commonly practiced.
> Every list including this one since before you began using email lists.
> Interleaving began back in the days before the RFC for email standards
> was created. The fact that people misuse quoting doesn't change the
> etiquette for using interleaving which most open source lists state to use.
> >> Well all and good but you hijacked a thread to bring home a point which
> >> is in itself just wrong.
> > To selectively quote things in your reply to make your point is the
> > problem here, since I replied to the original subject, extensively.
> > It was you who deleted the "on-topic" part of the message to make
> > your point.
> No, you changed it, the client I use elided the (was: ...) portion since
> it was no longer the subject to which I was responding. And my context
> to you did not include any of the original message.
> cyg Simple
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple