This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
a few tar.xz packages are bigger than their uncompressed tar
- From: Jérôme Bouat <jerome dot bouat at laposte dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 20:46:04 +0200
- Subject: a few tar.xz packages are bigger than their uncompressed tar
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I looked into the local folder where the downloaded packages are saved before they are installed. I noticed that a few compressed archives files are using more size than their uncompressed form. For example, the libstdc++6-6.4.0-1.tar.xz file uses more space than its uncompressed tar file (on cygwin x86_64).
That is not surprising. All compression methods may sometimes inflate the final amount of data.
Would it be a way to keep the tar archive file uncompressed if the compressed form needs more space ?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple