Re: setup.ini has multiple "prev" entries ... Why?

On 05/11/2017 17:32, Houder wrote:
On 2017-11-05 13:48, Houder wrote:
After I had downloaded and exercised setup version 2.882, I noticed
that setup.ini has multiple (2?) "prev" entries per package ...

Why? Did I miss one of your announcements mentioning this change?

     https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-10/msg00047.html

Because of the way setup works, the last [test] section is the version which is selected when 'test' is selected, so a specific ordering of the sections
 would be required. ...

[...]
So ... if I read the above correctly, the "prev" entries can be ordered
arbitrarily with respect to each other (within a package section) ?????
(and basically, the same question with respect to the "test" entries)

Since [1], there's no way to install a prev version using setup, without explicitly selecting which version you want, so the ordering of those [prev] versions in setup.ini is relatively unimportant.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2011-07/msg00064.html

However, you can tell setup to install "the test version", so we ensure that the highest version [test] section is last, to ensure it's the one that setup installs.

Meaning, one has to "interpret" the version id of each "prev" entry,
in order to be able to establish the _latest_ "prev" entry (i.e. the
version of the package before the current one) ?

Yes.

(Although due to historical mistakes with version numbers, that ordering might be wrong)