This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Git status delay
- From: cyg Simple <cygsimple at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:06:19 -0500
- Subject: Re: Git status delay
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20171121102728.GM20681@dinwoodie.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 12/11/2017 5:04 PM, Richard H Lee wrote:
> So if you lstat("//HEAD") and you are on a network that does DNS
> hijacking, Cygwin will attempt to connect to the ISP's server via SMB.
> As the ISP's server is a publicly facing IP address, it probably just
> black holes any incoming connection requests. So instead of receiving an
> immediate connection refusal, the TCP connection request just times out.
> This timeout was the cause of the delay.
I'm of the belief that instead of DNS hijacking as you suppose this is
related to the Windows OS timeout values for servers referenced by
\\SERVER which in this case is \\HEAD. The timeout values can be
adjusted but 30 seconds is the default value which is noticeable.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple