This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: (1) Trouble installing. (2) Huge desktop folder. (3) ConEmu. (4) Goodness, your instructions
- From: Jon Turney <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: Nicholas Joll <najoll at posteo dot net>
- Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 23:14:01 +0000
- Subject: Re: (1) Trouble installing. (2) Huge desktop folder. (3) ConEmu. (4) Goodness, your instructions
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com>
On 20/01/2018 15:58, Nicholas Joll wrote:
Dear List (presuming I have worked out how to send to the list)
Thanks for your feedback.
1) I had trouble installing Cygwin (on Windows 8.1 x64) because I
thought that the installation had finished when it had not. The reason
for my believing that, in turn, was this: an installation window was
hidden behind another window. I wonder whether other users are likely to
encounter or have encountered that problem.
It's not clear if by "another window" you mean "a window of another
program" or "another window of setup"?
In the former case, I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do to improve
In the latter, these are things we can fix, if we have the details of
which window is being hidden.
2) A 100MB file has appeared on my desktop. Is this part of the
installation? You will understand that I do not want to leave the folder
there. What should I do, please?
3) Integration with the program 'ConEmu' is meant to happen
automatically, I believe. However, it has not happened automatically for
me and I do not know how to set up the integration.
4) Discovering how to send to the list was hard, involving as it did
reading through large web pages and splicing the relevant information
therein with information from the first e-mail I received from the list.
('How do I subscribe', I wondered? And: 'Am I subscribed?) Mutatis
I'm guessing that we're primarily talking about
https://cygwin.com/lists.html, which I'm sure could be better.
However, it does say "Mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org will go
to the list.", so I'm not sure what you found it unclear about.
mutandis for discovering how to do some other things. You should bear in
mind, it seems to me, that some people who wish to install your software
wish to use only basic functionality and do not want to spend a couple
of hours achieving it.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple