Re: W10 Mandatory ASLR default

On 2018-02-18 13:07, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> Could setup be updated to reset Mandatory ASLR if the reg keys exist, or an
>> /etc/postinstall/[0z]p_disable_mandatory_aslr.sh script do a check and reset?
>
> Both methods would likely be considered hostile by those who are most
> likely set these keys and in fact I'd expect them to be re-set by group
> policy even if they were changeable in any corporate environment.  Note
> that forcing mandatory ASLR on non-ASLR-aware executables is not the
> default on Windows 10, although beta-testers might have got pushed such
> a setting, based on what was reported here and elsewhere.  Anyone who
> sets this option on his own box without understanding what it really
> does gets to keep the broken pieces.

My concern is for those who do not set it themselves or are unaware of the
impact on Cygwin.

Cygwin does not set dynamic base in exes and dlls, so should not be affected
unless Mandatory ASLR is set:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/srd/2017/11/21/clarifying-the-behavior-of-mandatory-aslr/

W7 EMET and EoL 2018 July - upgrade for any future patches:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/jj653751

I'll be watching carefully after my next W10 Home standard restart, to see if it
changes as part of Spectre/Meltdown mitigation.