RE: sed seems to force UC filename on Mixed 8.3 filenames on FAT32

Sorry folks but I am going to top post for the sake of clarity.  The original msg is below for reference.

Corinna, I ran the following and I attached the trace file:
	E:\junk>ls > Zot.txt
	E:\junk>ls
	Zot.txt
	E:\junk>strace -o d2u.trace dos2unix -n Zot.txt Zot.txt
	dos2unix: converting file Zot.txt to file Zot.txt in Unix format...
	E:\junk>ls
	ZOT.TXT  d2u.trace

I did further experiments.

You are correct regarding overwriting but not in a generic case (e.g. ls > Foo.txt twice preserves case) but in the specific case of "dos2unix".
If the destination file exists, case will be lost.

    E:\junk>ls				---- empty folder

    E:\junk>ls > Zot.txt

    E:\junk>dos2unix -n Zot.txt Foo.txt		---- works first time
    dos2unix: converting file Zot.txt to file Foo.txt in Unix format...

    E:\junk>ls
    Foo.txt  Zot.txt

    E:\junk>dos2unix -n Zot.txt Foo.txt		---- but not second time
    dos2unix: converting file Zot.txt to file Foo.txt in Unix format...

    E:\junk>ls
    FOO.TXT  Zot.txt

I re-ran the preceding capturing trace files which I have also attached, as in:
  E:\junk>ls
  d2u.trace

  E:\junk>ls > Zot.txt

  E:\junk>ls
  Zot.txt  d2u.trace

  E:\junk>strace -o d2u_firsttime.trace dos2unix -n Zot.txt Foo.txt
  dos2unix: converting file Zot.txt to file Foo.txt in Unix format...

  E:\junk>ls
  Foo.txt  Zot.txt  d2u.trace  d2u_firsttime.trace

  E:\junk>strace -o d2u_secondtime.trace dos2unix -n Zot.txt Foo.txt
  dos2unix: converting file Zot.txt to file Foo.txt in Unix format...

  E:\junk>ls
  FOO.TXT  Zot.txt  d2u.trace  d2u_firsttime.trace  d2u_secondtime.trace

Michel