This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
chere (=> windows explorer context menu) not working with German umlaut in Path
- From: "Josef Frank" <josef dot frank at gmx dot ch>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 10:40:13 +0100
- Subject: chere (=> windows explorer context menu) not working with German umlaut in Path
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Sensitivity: Normal
The "chere" package installs an entry in the windows explorer context menu to open a mintty window running bash at an arbitrary location.
However the context menu entry "Bash prompt here" does not work, when the directory path contains a German umlaut in any position. E.g.: using it for c:/temp/ö results in a Bash prompt opened in _c:/temp_, while opening a windows cmd prompt via context menu also works with umlauts in the path.
How do I resolve this issue?
1. created registry entry is c:\opt\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/bash.exe "%L" (in extended context menu "%L" is replaced by "%V"; but this also does not work)
2. locale setting in cygwin: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
3. File system is NTFS. Therefore file names are claimed to be stored in "Unicode", whatever this means in the respective documentation (Windows Dev Center description of encoding for file names[https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd317748%28v=vs.85%29.aspx])
4. Codepage in CMD-window: 850 (according to powershell command [System.Text.Encoding]::Default)
5. Windows codepage: 1252
6. All three programs (windows explorer, cmd.exe, bash in mintty) show the umlaut in consistent manner despite different encodings
7. Renaming files is not possible as the problem mainly arises on network drives with folders/files that are a) referred to by lots of links (symbolic as well as windows shortcuts) and b) owned/shared by multiple different users
Greatly would appreciate help
Thanks in advance
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple