This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Unexpected behavior of HOME value
- From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale at activenetwerx dot com>
- To: "'cygwin at cygwin dot com'" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:15:51 +0000
- Subject: Unexpected behavior of HOME value
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Looking at /etc/profile, I see the following:
# Here is how HOME is set, in order of priority, when starting from Windows
# 1) From existing HOME in the Windows environment, translated to a Posix path
# 2) from /etc/passwd, if there is an entry with a non empty directory field
# 3) from HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
# 4) / (root)
# If the home directory doesn't exist, create it.
From a command shell:
Yet my home is generated as /home/jcasale and the directory is created
when launching a terminal. I have countless installs of Cygwin where this works
as expected and the HOME variable is constructed as expected using the
Does anybody have an idea what could be different on this one system that
I could check?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple