This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
xmgrace fails, cannot find base type1 fonts
- From: "Hunter, Kendall" <Kendall dot Hunter at ucdenver dot edu>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 16:11:50 +0000
- Subject: xmgrace fails, cannot find base type1 fonts
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: spf=none (sender IP is ) smtp.mailfrom=Kendall dot Hunter at ucdenver dot edu;
- References: <DM5PR05MB32738C9C37761CA92A07D0AFE3DE0@DM5PR05MB3273.namprd05.prod.outlook.com>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
I am experiencing the same problem mentioned in this post<https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-01/msg00135.html>: xmgrace fails on cygwin64. It simply doesn't start, even if GRACE_HOME is properly set to /usr/share/grace. I believe I've found a fix for this issue; it is associated with recent changes that have occurred in the urw-base35-fonts package.
In detail: xmgrace as currently built tries to use the type 1 fonts in /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts. It appears (?) to catalog them using a font mapping contained in one of its configuration files, named appropriately enough, FontDataBase, which sits in /usr/share/grace/fonts. It contains this:
Times-Roman Times-Roman n021003l.pfb
Times-Italic Times-Italic n021023l.pfb
Times-Bold Times-Bold n021004l.pfb
Times-BoldItalic Times-BoldItalic n021024l.pfb
Helvetica Helvetica n019003l.pfb
Helvetica-Oblique Helvetica-Oblique n019023l.pfb
Helvetica-Bold Helvetica-Bold n019004l.pfb
Helvetica-BoldOblique Helvetica-BoldOblique n019024l.pfb
Courier Courier n022003l.pfb
Courier-Oblique Courier-Oblique n022023l.pfb
Courier-Bold Courier-Bold n022004l.pfb
Courier-BoldOblique Courier-BoldOblique n022024l.pfb
Symbol Symbol s050000l.pfb
ZapfDingbats ZapfDingbats d050000l.pfb
The font files - the files listed in the rightmost column of this file - seem to belong in the urw-base35-fonts package, indeed this package search<https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Furw-base35-fonts%2Furw-base35-fonts-20170801-2&grep=n021003l> finds them there. However they aren't there anymore. They have been renamed and are now in /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35/ under the following names (thanks to Ken Brown):
I tried changing the FontDataBase file to list these names instead, but that had no effect. So I:
* Removed the old symbolic link /usr/share/grace/fonts/type1, which pointed to /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts.
* Created a new one that pointed to /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35.
* Within urw-base35, I symlinked each old name to the new name (e.g. n021003l.pfb -> NimbusRoman-Regular.t1, and so on for all 14 fonts).
After doing this, xmgrace fired up no problem. So the package could be rebuilt with awareness of the new font location and names, and a fix for now is to simply relink its font directory and link these names as above.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple