Re: update batch file

On 2018-04-29 19:57, Dave Caswell wrote:
> Has anyone created a batch file that stops the cygwin services, runs
> setup to get updates in the background, and then restarts the
> services??
> Doing it manually, I occasionally forget to restart the services and
> things stop working until I remember to start them up  again.

I launch setup semi-unattended using a script that checks no background
processes running, then updates and validates setup, ini, and local university
unofficial public mirror access, before launching setup, shutting down mintty
and Xwin, and launching task scheduler.
I use an elevated scheduled task to shut down Cygwin services on a preshutdown
event (if I got the conditions correct) or when manually run (just before
setup), and a permanent postinstall script zp_zzz_....dash to restart services
after other postinstall scripts.

You could use an elevated scheduled task to wrap everything in a standalone
script, to save you opening an elevated shell just to run the script.