Re: Cygwin X11 Server slow performance

On 4/30/2018 6:48 AM, Paul Sheer wrote:

Cygwin/X is most definitely being used, and this might help:

https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-shared-memory.html

Being used? I find that very difficult to believe.

There are a large number of usability problems I have found and I have only
been using Cygwin for a couple of hours. It's does not seem ready for
release yet IMO.

as we are using by more than one decade
and the first 64 bit version was released in 2009

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2009-12/msg00027.html

we are sure that it is usable.

1. There seems no way to map particular important keys. For instance
Left-Alt-Tab should be configurable to either Windows or X11 depending
on the users preference, and this configuration should be available in a menu
somewhere easy to find -- but it has no configuration menus on the top bar
like normal applications.

2. it is extremely difficult to work out that
"C:\cygwin64\bin>XWin.exe -ac -listen tcp" is the appropriate command
to type to get the server to serve a remote Linux machine. This seems
like a common use case -- so why "hide" this information?

It is not hidden.
It is an upstream setting, we are just using the default.

3. Forgets that you have your mouse button held down if you drag past
the edge of the X screen. It should not let your mouse cursor out the
X screen when you are dragging.

4. Is there no option like XWin.exe -ac -listen 10.12.21.0/24 to
restrict connections to a particular network?? This seems very easy to
implement and solves the security problem. It might be in a menu also.

5. The performance issue is not related to the shared memory problem.
My text editor has multiple ways of rendering 8x13bold (font-struct font-set and
pixmap) and they are all slow. XMing is also slow (I have notified
Colin Harrison
but even after a year he cant fix it).

Than probably something on your machine is interfering.
It will be difficult to debug without further info from your side.

This latency may be because you are not using Windows accelerated
rectangle copies, or it may be because you have not disabled the
Nagle algorithm for latency.

6. cygserver-config does not work. It gives:

It works. You just seems to have the wrong expectation.

[[[

psheer@psheer-HP ~
$ cygserver-config
Overwrite existing /etc/cygserver.conf file? (yes/no) yes
Generating /etc/cygserver.conf file
chown: changing ownership of '/etc/cygserver.conf': Permission denied

Warning: The following function requires administrator privileges!

Do you want to install cygserver as service?
(Say "no" if it's already installed as service) (yes/no) yes
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: Given path doesn't point to a valid executable
Try `/usr/bin/cygrunsrv --help' for more information.

Installation of cygserver as service failed.  Please check the
error messages you got.  They might give a clue why it failed.

A good start is either you don't have administrator privileges
or a missing cygrunsrv binary.  Please check for both.

]]]

7. Surely the above program can check if it is a privilege problem
or not and simply tell you?  Why should I have to read through
documentation to enable a simple "checkbox" feature when it
can only be On or Off and there are no other options???

8. cygwin seems to have the concept of an administrator, but there
is no root user or way to switch to a root user using su. If these things
exist, then they should be there by default and work as default so as
not to require the user read documentation. Is my default user the
administrator?  It should be -- it is a home PC. I can't even tell what
the intended behavior is. It keeps asking me for a password for
psheer but I have never set a password on this PC.

Windows has the concept of administrator.
Cygwin runs on top of cygwin and lives in that concept.

9. There is no package management that works properly. The
install program setup-x86_64.exe seems to re-download things
that are already downloaded. It is kludgy and everything is ambiguous.
It seems unclear what is a label telling you the state, or a button telling
you to switch to a state. Surely it is easy to make a Gtk or Qt interface
for this package manager?

May be the package manager is not intuitive for you, but it works.
I do not find the changes from every version of MS Office release
intuitive, and I need to re-learn the interface, but Office works.

How do you know what a "minimal" set of packages is?

The minimal is the base Category, that is offered as default on first installation.

Do I have to install everything?

Why ? The FAQ recommends against such solution.
https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.everything
Just install what you need to use.

If I install everything does it cache what it has downloaded so
as not to download everything again?

Normal windows packages do not require you ask any of these
questions -- the install interface makes it clear.

10. After trying to install more packages I now get: "The procedure
entry point __memcpy_chk could not be located in the dynamic link
library cygwin1.dll"

it seems you need to reinstall the last "cygwin" package,
as __memcpy_chk was added in last release.

You probably ran an upgrade with some cygwin process still
running and the cygwin1.dll was not properly update.

11. Surely the Start menu should have a cygwin-packages menu
item to manage package, get dependencies correct, and verify
the integrity of an installation.

12. Your documentation is extremely strange. For instance
you have "https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-clipboard-integration.html";.
Why would any user ever read about clipboard integration???
The clipboard problems and the relationship between X11 and Windows
have been solved many years ago. This is evident from the fact that
Ubuntu, when installed under Oracle Virtual box, does Copy-n-Paste between
Gtk and Windows and Unicode copy-paste even works perfectly
in both directions. So copy and paste should "just work". Any configuration
should be in menus anyway.

13. Why do some binaries run on the command line and do nothing
and show no error??? Unix never does this.

You have some broken dependencies as #10.
May be more that just only the cygwin1.dll

If you cripple your Unix installation, also that does not work.

If you provide the cygcheck.out as requested on
http://cygwin.com/problems.html
we could help you.

I hope this all helps.

I'll be uninstalling cygwin now because I can't waist any more time on it.

Not very useful for us, and I doubt for you.
But we can help you, starting with the cygcheck.out analysis if you provide it.

Regards
Marco