Re: Emacs raise-frame in cygwin x multiwindow mode

On 03/05/2018 19:02, Gulliver Smith wrote:
A quick search show messages way back from 2004 on this topic from
several different authors including myself.

The problem is that when running Cygwin X in multi window mode,
"raise-frame" calls from emacs clients do not raise windows.

E.g., in a frame I call "(setq f (selected-frame))" then put another
frame on top and run "(raise-frame f)". The frame does not rise.

I'm running "/usr/bin/X -multiwindow -listen tcp" on both Windows 10
and Windows 7 boxes, with emacs 25 in a virtual machine.

There is a proposed patch in
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-08/msg00034.html (7 years
ago)

I'm not in a position to compile cygwin X, and the patch probably
isn't relevant to the latest source code in any case.

Is there any news?

Not really. I'm aware of this as an issue, but as that thread goes on to discuss [1], fixing this is complex, and I'm not really keen on adding another bodge on top of already unclear implementation.

I think it would be best if someone had the time and motivation to remove the current clutter, reimplement the window stacking properly, taking care to test the scenarios outlined in that discussion, but that seems unlikely to happen any time soon...

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2011-09/msg00001.html

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer