Re: xterm / Windows 10 question

Am 05.06.2018 um 06:03 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Matt Nicholas <mattdn@gmail.com> wrote:

I start Cygwin/X as follows:

(1) open a Cygwin64 Terminal window
(2) cd /usr/bin
(3) ./xinit -- -multiwindow &

That works as expected, and creates an initial xterm window. I can then
start multiple independent xterm windows.

The problem I'm having is that when I type single quote or double quote
characters in the xterm window, no character appears with the first
keystroke.
Typing the character twice, causes the character to appear, but things
don't work as expected.
For example, a command like:
      find . -name "*.exe"
fails to find any files even though there are ".exe" files to be found.

I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected language is
"English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
I did that and it did not solve the problem (nor make any discernible
difference).

A few other clues:
      (1) The problem does not occur in a Cygwin64 Terminal window.
      (2) I set things up the same way on a Windows 7 PC that I also use,
and do not experience this problem in xterm windows.

It seems that Xterm, and I assume the all X server,
is using a different Keyboard layout than Mintty.
One with dead-keys.
Mintty supports dead keys too, per Windows keyboard layout, and also a compose key. Double-quote, however, should not be a dead key, in typical keyboard layouts. What X keyboard layout do you have? Is it really a double-quote you finally have on the command line? Did you check that with `od`?

The best explanation I found on keyboard with dead-keys is
https://zauner.nllk.net/post/0014-windows-no-dead-keys/

For changing setting for the X system, some guidance is available on:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_configuration_in_Xorg

---