RE: 2.10.0: Cygwin now can not work well with a file in dos format.

Thank you for the thoughtful responses Michael and Marco.

I am sorting through the references from both of you while trying to keep in mind
all the caveats regarding mount mode, file-path syntax ( /d/zot vs d:\zot ), and whether
any given utility is "line" oriented or not to infer how it might or might not hardwire the open mode.
(BTW, Section 3.2.1 of the user guide may need an update wrt sed ...)

I don't question the decisions - just trying to understand the implications before I next update everything.

The issue of text vs binary open must regularly boost alcohol sales.

(Note to self:  do not skip messages with [ANNOUNCEMENT] in the subject.)

Thanks
/Michel