Re: sshd issues on Windows 10 version 1803

Upon upgrading another 1709 node (with working Cygwin sshd), the 1803
update clobbered the sshd service registry tree. The older Cygwin sshd key
was deleted and a new sshd service got created pointing to
%SystemRoot%\System32\OpenSSH\sshd.exe.
This is different from what I observed on the 1st node that I upgraded a
few weeks ago (wherein the Cygwin sshd registry tree was left intact). I
deleted the sshd service, rerun ssh-host-config, and am back to random
failed auto-restarts of sshd.

I think there is a myriad of issues here, the least of which is MS
hijacking the "sshd" service name. As a minimum, the default 'service_name'
in ssh-host-config should be changed to not conflict with "sshd". Maybe
ssh-host-config should also consider deleting any pre-existing "sshd"
service and then recreate a new one. The FAQ may require some mention as
well.

I got another hit of this conflict on the web at
https://gist.github.com/roxlu/5038729  (last few comments).

Thanks.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 1:16 AM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com