Re: running self compiled 32 bit binary on 64 bit Windows?

Greetings, Ulli Horlacher!

>> > I already have a /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll on the Windows 8 target system.
>>
>> It's a wrong architecture. You need a 32-bit one for your 32-bit program.
>>
>> > Do I have to replace it?
>>
>> No.
>> Just build a 64-bit version of your program.

> SIGH. I was hoping a 32 bit cygwin with 32 bit self compiled programs will
> run on 64 bit Windows, too. But I was wrong.
> Meanwhile I have 4 VMs:
> Windows 32 bit with 32 bit cygwin
> Windows 32 bit with 32 bit cygwin for compiling
> Windows 64 bit with 64 bit cygwin
> Windows 64 bit with 64 bit cygwin for compiling

You can install both 32 and 64-bit Cygwin on the same machine.
So you don't really need 4, while I see how having a build system separate is
a good idea.

>> > This is what I first did:
>> > Transfered the 32 bit cygwin with my self compiled binaries
>>
>> You have to install Cygwin, not "transfer".

> I have several 100 users, none of them is able to install cygwin

*You* have to do it.
Cygwin offers tools to automate process.

> and the packages they need the official way, they are way to *CENSORED* for
> this job :-}
> I give them my preconfigured cygwin.zip (or cygwin64.zip) and tell them to
> unpack it in C:\

> http://fex.belwue.de/usecases/cygwin.html

> (This is what I call "transfer cygwin")

> This works so far without problems.