Re: After installing nc (netcat), nc.exe is not found

Not sure it would help, but I keep my cygwin installation under c:\cygwin and I set up the packages directory to c:\cygwin\packages. This ensures short paths and I can 'ls /packages' to fiddle with them.

I wouldn't advise you to just go ahead and unpack the packages. Cygwin setup runs some shady things when it installs packages (aka rebaseall) in order to settle usable memory for the installed tools (another unfortunate limitation of cygwin due to windows design). I see that you are relying on cygsetup so that shouldn't be the problem, just making sure.

You can set up this packages directory when you start cygwin setup. It is one of the first questions it makes. I believe it would be wise to manually move that packages directory to where you want it before so that cygwin just finds whatever it installed still in place after you specify the new path.

This might solve the long path, although I don't think this should be the problem... Cygwin supports quite long paths as far as I know, or believe. :)

I don't think the '.xz' extension has anything to do with the issue, it is just the compression protocol the files follow.

On another topic, if you just chose to reinstall the "incomplete" packages only, why the hell did setup want to fiddle with that other package you named (libfm-...)?.. Perhaps you need first to switch the "latest" to "keep" (in the packages selection phase of setup) so that it does not try to upgrade everything else and just reinstalls the packages you specified. Once nc and the incomplete packages works you may give the full upgrade a try. You can just hit 'back' once it completes installation and do the upgrade steps (instead of closing and re-opening the cygwin setup application).

Well, I hope this helps! :)