Re: How to Setup Multiple System Distro Manpages

On 2018-07-14 22:25, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 1:51 PM Brian Inglis wrote:
>> $ l /proc/cygdrive/c/usr/local/share/man/
>
> Shouldn't those be under /usr/local instead of
> /proc/cygdrive/c/usr/local?  Typically /usr is something like
> C:/cygwin64/usr, which is not the C:/usr dir you've used.

Shouldn't be any problem as long as the search path is in man-db.conf or MANPATH.
Under Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:
- /usr/share/man/ is for system supplied package manpages;
- /usr/local/share/man/ is for locally built package manpages for that system:
  /opt/man/ on some systems; comes *before* system paths in MANPATH;
- /proc/cygdrive/c/usr/local/ is not FHS but follows those rules, where I store
  my system top level distros, including AST, DJGPP, Cygwin, etc., links to
  WSL distros' rootfs; and native, common, or shared stuff goes under
  subdirectories:
  . bin/    native user .exe .cmd .reg;
  . etc/    configs .ini etc.;
  . lib/    support or addins .dll .exe;
  . sbin/   native system admin .exe .cmd .reg;
  . share/  data, docs, etc. including:
	    ~ man/  misc and old stuff, like alt.sysadmin.recovery (**) and
		    funny manpages (**NSFW); *after* system paths in MANPATH;
		    ~ cat1/ cmd.exe internal and external command and
			    native Windows utilities help;
  . src/    native utility and package sources e.g. from net or github;

where these are not part of a distro, and if I wipe out a distro, they remain;
similar to, and could become, a network mount instead of local storage.