Cygwin X applications do not launch

I have a fresh install of Cygwin, with Cygwin X.
The problem I have is that X applications do not seem to run.

If I try to run gedit or emacs, for example, the applications seem to just return 0 immediately:
----------------------------
me@mycomputer ~
$ gedit &
[1] 10244

me@mycomputer ~
$ emacs &
[2] 10976
[1]   Done                    gedit
----------------------------

Similarly, if I try to start either of these applications from the X Applications Menu on the taskbar, they don't launch.
The Cygwin log file shows the following, indicating that the application started, and then exited straight away:

----------------------------
(xwin-xdg-menu:13896): GVFS-WARNING **: Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: Timeout was reached (g-io-error-quark, 24)

executing 'xterm -title '/home/me/.xsession-errors' -e less +F /home/me/.xsession-errors', pid 8080
(pid 8080 stderr) xterm: cannot load font "-Misc-Fixed-bold-R-*-*-13-120-75-75-C-120-ISO10646-1"
executing 'gapplication launch org.gnome.gedit', pid 9288
pid 9288 exited with status 0
----------------------------

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts! I've tried a fresh install of Cygwin, with the same results.

Many thanks,
Mike

Roke Manor Research Limited, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 0ZN, United Kingdom.Part of the Chemring Group.
Registered in England & Wales. Registered No: 00267550
http://www.roke.co.uk

Please update your address book. Roke is currently transitioning to its original brand and will no longer
be branded under Chemring Technology Solutions. Email addresses of Roke staff have therefore been changed
from firstname.surname@chemringts.com to firstname.surname@roke.co.uk – please use this updated format
with immediate effect.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is proprietary to Roke Manor Research Limited and
must not be passed to any third party without permission. This communication is for information only and shall
not create or change any contractual relationship.