Re: cygserver - /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin

On Aug 13 08:50, cyg Simple wrote:
> > On Aug 10 11:28, cyg Simple wrote:
> >> Looking at the files delivered by the cygwin upgrade I see
> >> /usr/sbin/cygserver.exe and /usr/bin/cygserver-config.  Shouldn't
> >> cygserver-config reside in /usr/sbin with cygserver.exe?
> >>

> You didn't answer this with your below answer.  The cygserver-config
> requires administrator privilege so it would be better placed with
> cygserver.exe in sbin, IMO.
>
> >> Also in that vain shouldn't cyglsa belong in /usr/sbin?
> >
> > Nope.  /usr/bin is where the DLLs are, so they can be found
> > even if PATH isn't set up.
> >

> But cyglsa{,64}.dll is a standalone without any other binary.  It is
> only accessed by the OS for the LSA support if the registry key exists.
> This means the cyglsa-config can be modified to point to the sbin
> directory instead of the bin directory.  Again administrator privilege
> is required so better placed in sbin, IMO.

cyglsa.dll requires an install script that would have to be change as
well.  In contrast, you'd have to make sure your new solution still
works for existing installations.  What's the gain?  Does it *hurt* to
have the stuff in /usr/bin like everything else?

If you want trhis questionable changes desperately, feel free to provide
patches on the cygwin-patches ML.

Corinna

Red Hat