Re: cygserver - /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin

On 8/14/2018 4:12 PM, Vince Rice wrote:
>> On Aug 14, 2018, at 3:05 PM, cyg Simple wrote:
>>
>> On 8/13/2018 10:41 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> …
>>>
>>> cyglsa.dll requires an install script that would have to be change as
>>> well.  In contrast, you'd have to make sure your new solution still
>>> works for existing installations.  What's the gain?  Does it *hurt* to
>>> have the stuff in /usr/bin like everything else?
>>>

>> No but then why have cygserver.exe in /usr/sbin?  Either there should be
>> a separation because of required administrative rights or there
>> shouldn't be at all.  Having it both ways is just confusing even if the
>> confusion isn't apparent to you.
>
> And just because it's confusing to you doesn't mean it's confusing to everyone
> else. I for one have never been confused.

But you are confused, you are saying that a system binary should be in
/usr/bin instead of /usr/sbin and that everyone knows that /usr/bin
contains both so be careful not to stumble upon them.  You are confused
because you must not know the importance of the need for /usr/sbin.  But
if Cygwin doesn't care to mix and match that then put everything in
/usr/bin and get rid of /usr/sbin. That is why I said "Having it both
ways is just confusing even if the confusion isn't apparent to you."
You've just proven the point.

--
cyg Simple