Re: Why does -std=c++11 hide certain function calls

> For Unixy builds, just don't specify -std. Only specify -std if you want
to ensure that builds will work with earlier standards, compilers, or
libraries, or for -std=c* without any special language or library features,
in which case you may also want to add -pedantic or more restrictive
options.

Ahhhh…. that was my mistake.  I had erroneously assumed that not specifying
-std would result in the oldest version of C++.  A quick check:

    $ g++ foo.cpp -c -dM -E  | grep cplus
    #define __cplusplus 201402L

I was compiling with C++ 14 the whole time.  And it appears that when -std
is used, the GNU defines are taken out, which ultimately influence how
POSIX_VISIBLE Is defined within <features.h>.

I'm not sure if I agree that -std should hide the functions from unix
headers. (tldr: unix headers are explicitly outside the c++ standard, so
the moment they are included, you might as well assume the developer wants
it all...)

But at last now I'm unblocked.  Thanks everyone.

jrs