Re: Supplying a patched package

On 10/28/2018 12:43 PM, Rob Arthan wrote:
> I have an application that is available for the main UN*X implementations
> and uses the OpenMotif library. It currently works fine on Cygwin using
> the motif-2.3.6-1 package. I am working on enhancing it to use Unicode
> and UTF-8 to display mathematical symbols and this has exposed a bug
> in OpenMotif. I have a patch for the bug and have successfully built
> the OpenMotif library as a DLL and tested it on Cygwin.
>
> The bug has been reported but the turn-round time for a fix to OpenMotif
> is likely to be 6 or 12 months and I don’t how long it will take for it to
> get picked up on Cygwin (2.3.6 is 2 versions and 18 months behind the
> latest version). So my question is what is the best way to supply my fix to
> users on Cygwin in the interim.
>
> Building the DLL seems a bit tricky, so I’d prefer users not to have to
> do that. If I supply the DLL, then the simplest thing seems to be just
> to include the DLL in a bin folder alongside the executable for my app.
> Is that a robust and portable solution? Will I need to build different DLLs
> for different architectures or can I safely assume that people running
> on a reasonably recent MS Windows installation will only want the x86_64 DLL?
>
> Apologies if the answer should be obvious: I am a reasonably proficient
> UN*X programmer, but just a naive end-user feeling my way on MS
> Windows. Am I right in inferring from experiments that Cygwin and/or
> MS Windows looks for DLLs on the list of folders given $PATH and/or
> %PATH% list but has a look in the folder containing the executable that
> wants the DLL first?

Have you considered creating a Cygwin package for your app?  See

   https://cygwin.com/packages.html

for information about this.

As for OpenMotif, I suggest sending your patch to the cygwin-apps mailing list
where the motif maintainer (Yaakov) might see it and update the package.  Or you
could offer to take over as maintainer if Yaakov is too busy to update it and is
willing to give it up.

Ken