Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.4

On 2018-11-13 11:31, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
>> workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML
>> source?) would appear.
>
> I commonly paste things from MinTTY into our Wiki editor (in the
> browser), which choses the advertised HTML as the "obviously better" and
> then screws up royally since for whatever unfathomable reason it gets
> the text wrapped in an HTML table.  I'd have to switch to source view to
> erase the markup I didn't even want in the first place.  So at the
> moment I paste into Emacs (which uses the text selection), re-select it
> there and then paste it back into the Wiki as text.
>
> Whatever you'd think of "rich text conveyed as HTML", a HTML table is
> certainly not the right thing to use in any case.  HTML actually is an
> anathema for visual formatting if the goal was to have the pasted stuff
> look like it did in the terminal window.
>
>> Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
>> formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
>> otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
>> was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
>> would still retrieve that.
>
> There are many applications that simply don't give you the option to
> chose from such multi-typed selections (which makes it even more
> important that the application capable of producing them can be
> configured).  In fact, the only ones I know of are MS Office and then
> they don't always give you that choice in an unobtrusive or convenient
> way and sometimes not at all depending on context.

If you insist on pasting HTML, please enclose each clip in <pre> preformatted
text tags, with symbolic character entities for &, <, >, and numeric character
entities for non-ASCII UTF-8 characters, output enclosed in <samp> sample output
font and colour effects.

Using <table> and related tags is unlikely to produce the expected results in
any paste target (e.g. Android, Google, iOS, Libre, MS, Open, OSX Office) app or
browser.

If would be great if you could intercept all screenshot attempts and generate
HTML instead, as most screenshot pastes (or worse, videos) show huge windows
with little useful content in tiny unreadable fonts, and little context to
explain relevant content e.g. on github mintty project issues ;^>