Re: tar cygwin64/ from old to new computer?

Am 25.11.2018 um 15:38 schrieb Lester Ingber:
> I'd like to simply transfer my cygwin64/ directory from my old Thinkpad
> to my new Thinkpad, both running Win 10 x64 Pro.  E.g., I would put my
> old c:/cygwin64/ onto a flash SSD USB drive e:/ .
> cd c:/
> tar cfp - cygwin64 > e:/cygwin64.tar &
> Then e:/cygwin64.tar would be mounted on my new computer.

You're overlooking a chicken-and-egg problem there: your new computer
has no 'tar' to unpack that file.

> I'm assuming that there is not actual install required, e.g., having to
> run setup-x86_64.exe first on the new computer?

That assumption is incorrect.

If your in-house network really is so significantly faster than outside
internet that this makes a difference, what you can usefully copy over
from one machine to the other would be setup.exe's package cache
directory tree.  Other than that, there's really no workable short cut
compared to simply running setup.