Re: i686-w64-mingw32-gcc: LC_MESSAGES

On 1/9/19, Brian Inglis  wrote:

> On 2019-01-09 12:43, Lee wrote:

>>> MSVCR = MicroSoft Visual C Run-time (I think)
>> Meaning i686-w64-mingw32-gcc uses the Microsoft libraries vs. cygwin
>> gcc using posix compliant libraries?  Implying LC_MESSAGES not being
>> defined is yet another instance of Microsoft not following accepted
>> standards?
>> The background for my question is
>> https://github.com/htacg/tidy-html5/issues/770
>> Tidy removed the setlocale call from the library init function, so if
>> users want a specific locale/language they're going to have to set it
>> up themselves.
>> I'd like to update the tidylib example code showing how to set the
>> language, but
>>   setlocale(LC_ALL, "");
>>   tidySetLanguage( setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, NULL) );
>> probably isn't a good example if LC_MESSAGES is missing on some systems.
>
> You have to convert your messages to Windows message resources in your
> build, then link and package Windows message resources with non-POSIX
> compliant exes, or add a POSIX message implementation to your exes.

I'm just trying to come up with example code for how to set the locale
& language in the tidylib documentation; thankfully, me building a
native windows version of tidy isn't the goal..  I was just trying out
code that worked under cygwin & was a bit surprised it wouldn't even
compile for windows.  But it seems to be a windows limitation, so
[snip snarky comment]

Regards,
Lee