Re: sshd: computer name's case must match?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 6:14 AM Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > From this reference, it seems that a POSIX-compliant username cannot
> > contain the + character?
>
> *should*, not *must*.  It may be a portabiliy problem but it's not
> strictly disallowed.  I'm also not sure what this has to do with the
> matter at hand.

I was looking for a simple way to resolve the case issue.

> > So my suggestion is for Cygwin to convert the name part before the +
> > automatically to upper (or lower) case.
>
> The problem may be compatibility with existing scripts and OpenSSH
> Match rules.

This makes sense. My suggestion may be a bit too simplistic.

> I'm in the process of discussing with the OpenSSH maintainers how to
> proceed.

Sounds good. Thank you for thinking about this problem.

I understand the username case needing to match. This is easily
instructed on the Windows side - just make sure the case matches and
it will work.

I think this is the difficulty: When a computer name is not uppercase,
how do we find out the correct case when we specify an authority name
(before the +)?

(A domain name is easier: We can translate name -> SID -> name and get
the correct case.)