Re: cygrunsrv to have a timeout parameter for service startup

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> On Feb 15 14:44, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]!
>>
>> > It looks like the cygrunsrv utility hardcodes 30 seconds as a maximal time
>> > for a service to start, then bails out with a failure.
>>
>> No, 30 seconds is a hard system timeout in which a service must reply with an
>> appropriate control message to let services.exe know it is ready to continue
>> startup sequence.

> Oh, really?  If so, I completely forgot about that...

This is the best I could dig right now at the subject.
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/499465/Simple-Windows-Service-in-Cplusplus
And MSDN article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/services/the-complete-service-sample
Looks much the same.

All the internet flooded with useless "pick 'service application' template in
Visual Studio" crap, hiding the actually useful information.
May be some more time spent in Google with control signal names reveal even
older (== more useful) articles.
Don't have that time right now, sorry. :(

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...