Re: textmode for stdout, what is "correct" now?

> On Feb 18 12:47, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

<<snip>>

> No, wait.  This is getting a bit out of hand.  The fact that we have to
> handle two different read modes in Cygwin is already bad enough.  I'm
> not really looking forward to add another read mode for which I don't
> see an obvious need.  You don't really expect lots of upstream devs to
> happily pick up on such a change with two new O_ open flags *just* for
> Cygwin, do you?

Agreed, nope.

It turns out that setmode(fd, 0) is what I'm looking for,
and there is no need to change anything in the API.

So rather than not using setmode(), we should tell upstream to not use
O_TEXT but zero instead, which might be easier to accept for them.

> You have two modes for input and three for output:
>
> - input O_BINARY  -> only \n
> - input O_TEXT    -> \n and \r\n
>
> - output 0        -> generates \n or \r\n depending on mount mode
> - output O_BINARY -> generates \n
> - output O_TEXT   -> generates \r\n

Erm, even for input there is mode 0: strips \r depending on mount mode.
This actually is without using setmode() at all.
Shouldn't the default (mode 0) behave like O_TEXT for input?

Thanks!
/haubi/