Re: Cygwin 3.0.1-1 Breaks ALL cygwin applications on Windows 7 x64

On 2/27/19 2:19 PM, Jerry Baker via cygwin wrote:
> On 2/26/2019 10:55 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> As Cygwin is a rolling release system, if you are not running current
>> releases,
>> some CVE security issues may remain unpatched, and your system may not be
>> compliant to your corporate security policies (you may want to check
>> with your
>> IT security and/or IT auditors).
>
> I narrowed it down to my network. If I unplug the Ethernet cable the
> problem disappears. If I plug it in, the problem returns. I can
> reproduce it 100% for an hour straight, going back and forth.

Off-hand, I would suspect that the newer Cygwin has code that tries to
access a network resource (perhaps because you have a "//name" in your
$PATH, or perhaps because of local vs. network username), and that the
process hangs waiting for the resource to time out when you have the
cable plugged in (or even has a bug that causes an inf-loop), but
quickly falls back to something that works when the network is not
present. Corinna will have more ideas about how to test which particular
network call is hanging, as well as being more familiar with recent
changes in network username validation, for ideas on better debugging this.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226