Re: sshd problem on WS2008R2 64bit

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 2:00 PM Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > Whether this workaround is feasible likely depends on the end user. The
> > workaround has its own limitations. Here are at least 2 that I can
think of
> > right now:
> >
> > 1. The local user must have "Log on as a batch job" (SeBatchLogonRight)
> > user right.
> >
> > 2. The "Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and
credentials
> > for network authentication" security policy must be set to "Disabled".
(If
> > this policy is set to "Enabled", then you can't create scheduled tasks
with
> > stored passwords.)
> >
> > It's a weird problem. The best option would be for Microsoft to provide
> > fix (if we can provide a short example program that reproduces it).
>
> I'm reasonably sure there won't be any fix for these systems for at
> least two reasons:
>
> - All affected systems are EOLed or in the last year of their Extended
>   Support Cycle, all ending on 2020-01-14.
>
> - I opened a support case for an older Windows release a couple of years
>   ago.  A fix for the problem has been refused because the problem was
>   fixed in the newer OS.  I got told literally that the fix is to upgrade
>   to the newer OS.

You are probably right about that.

I guess you're stuck explaining this quirk in the documentation and
explaining the workarounds.

For my part, I'm writing a PowerShell script that does the following:

1) Create a local user account
2) Grant it SeBatchLogonRight
3) Create a scheduled task for it

Regards,